I thought that you all might be interested in knowing about how the search for a career post-grad school is coming along. So, to explain a little bit about the options, most graduates will go one of three routes. We either go into consulting (good pay, lots of travel, hard work), full-time job (manager or director of a hospital or health system), OR fellowship (usually a 1 year stint that is similar to a physicians residency in the fact that you have rotations but they are administrative rotations, say strategy, business development, inpatient management, operations and quality, etc. After the fellowship a fellow is usually hired within the organization to a director or assistant administrator role. Its a great way to work directly with executives).
So, with that said I have looked into all three routes and I'm focusin mostly on fellowships. I do have one soft offer from an organization called OnCURE (http://www.oncure.com/) to work directly with the executive team to set in place a strategy around how they want to differentiate themselves by the patient experience they give.
The fellowships I am looking in to are the following (from east to west): Cleveland Clinic, Presbyterian Health Services (Alburquerque), Poudre Valley Health System (Fort Collins), Intermountain Healthcare (UT), University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics, Salem Hospital (OR), Kaiser Permanente (Portland), Legacy Health System (Portland), Providence Health (Seattle), St. Luke's Episcopal Health System (Houston). So, I have had an on-site interview at St. Luke's Episcopal, have been invited for on-site interviews at Cleveland Clinic, Intermountain, and Kaiser Permanente, and have had phone interviews with most of the others. We'll see, please pray for us as we go through this process and expect change (good change)!
Anyway, I just thought I would write and let you know that it really could be anywhere and that we are excited about finally having full-time employment. We should know by the end of December where we are going! Life is fun!
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Job/Fellowship Search Update
Posted by The Mortensens at 9:16 PM
4 comments:
I had no idea Houston was west of Seattle. That is so nice to know. I never have been good with directions.
Seriously now, good luck Scott! You're in our thoughts and prayers
Wes
It is good to know how the process works. Good luck!
Yeah Scott! You can do it! (imagine some cheer kicks here)
BOOYAH!! Good luck on the interviews! Hopefully they are smoother than the one I had in Greeley last spring. Some advice: if the interviewer asks you the same question over and over....and over and over...and THEN stands up and says "While I get another cup of coffee I want you to think of an answer" you might want to reconsider your answer OR reconsider him as your boss! [the above is a true story]
Post a Comment